Wednesday, October 9, 2013

What's Next for the Solo Wanderer!

While planning for my trip, I created a list of different things I wanted to work on or accomplish while I was traveling. One of my major goals was to learn how to enjoy the present & stop consistently worrying about what my next move will be. My best friends and family know I am an expert at this. In regards to my goal, I have definitely made progress. As I have said before, I have a lot of time to myself. Outside of some housework and minding the kids, I have the day to myself. Normally, this would drive me crazy. But instead of proclaiming boredom I have taken this time to do things that I love doing – writing, reading, cooking, running. I’d like to say that I’m living completely on spontaneity and fully embracing the idea of Carpe Diem, but that would be a lie. I am trying not to plan ahead too much but I can’t help it – I am a planner, it’s what I do. With that being said I’m very excited to tell you what my next adventure will be!

I am a member of HelpX.net, which is an organization that connects “helpers,” like myself, with hosts (families or organizations that need volunteers in return for room & board). I found the McCoy family on this website, sent them an email and organized my stay in Ireland. Hosts can also contact helpers if they are interested. I leave Ireland on November 1st. I have a flight booked for London, where I will be meeting up with a couple of friends for the weekend. From there I was planning on traveling to different places within England. About two weeks ago I received an email from a host in England that runs a meditation center & was wondering if I’d like to come and volunteer at their World Peace Cafe. I was then faced with the decision as to whether I wanted to travel around England as I had planned or continue my volunteering. Considering this entire trip is about experiencing different cultures and meeting new people, I decided that I would spend a week volunteering at the meditation center in England. I’m not exactly sure what my duties will be but I do know that I will have to adhere to their rules – no eating meat, drinking alcohol, smoking or playing music. It is indefinitely going to be a unique experience and a challenge that I am looking forward to.


I can imagine some people would be very skeptical about doing something like this and I can understand why – it’s not for everyone. Although I’m not quite sure what’s in store for me, I can assure you one thing - I will not come back to New York as a practicing Buddhist =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment