Thursday, November 14, 2013

Grazie!

My European backpacking journey has officially begun! I flew into Naples, Italy early Monday morning and from the second I landed it has been a nonstop adventure. The airport shuttle dropped me off in the middle of this bustling city. I had written down the directions to my hostel but go figure, I still got lost. Naples is a very busy city and the streets all look completely the same. After wandering around for 30 minutes I decided to suck up my pride and ask for help. To my surprise the Italian’s are actually very friendly and helpful. About an hour later I arrived in a back alley with a door that had a small sign that read “6 Small Rooms” (the name of my hostel). Of course my hostel was located on the 6th floor. I certainly got a workout going up those stairs for the past two days! I quickly learned that the workers at the hostel were also American “HelpXer’s like me! Ironically they had both just spent three months volunteering in Ireland like I had done as well. It’s funny how things work out. Although I hadn’t slept in two days I didn’t want to waste any time so I got settled and went out to explore. Naples is pretty much everything I expected – laundry hanging outside, graffiti all over the place, statues, street vendors and lots of pizzerias!




Considering Naples is the birthplace I pizza, I had to indulge. And if you're wondering...I didn't share =)


I got a good night’s sleep on Monday so I could start fresh on Tuesday. I took a day trip to Sorrento and Positano, which are two stunning towns on the Amalfi Coast.





In order to get there I had to take a metro to the train station, a train to Sorrento, a bus to Positano, a bus back to Sorrento and then the train and metro back to Naples. Figuring out how all of these systems work is confusing to say the least, especially when everything is in a foreign language! Luckily the owner of the hostel brought me to the metro and helped me get my first ticket. After dropping me off and realizing how nervous I was, I’m convinced that he thought he would never see me again. In situations like this you just have to have confidence in yourself. Realistically speaking if worse comes to worse, I spend €60 for a taxi. It wouldn’t be the end of the world.

As you can see Positano and Sorrento were absolutely breathtaking. I can’t even put into words the beauty that I discovered in these two small towns. I could post 1,000 photos and it still wouldn’t do a justice. I felt like I was walking around in a fairy tale.




I feel foolish to admit this, but before coming to Italy I didn’t learn ANY Italian. I think I was just so excited to arrive I didn’t consider the practicalities of being in a foreign country. As I was wandering around yesterday I made it a point to learn the most important words in any country – “thank you”, which is “grazie” in Italian. I immediately got my phrasebook out last night to learn more but for the time being I’m doing a lot of pointing and saying Grazie with every conversation!

Right now I am waiting for my train to Rome. I got lost again this morning on my way to the station. By the time I arrived my shoulders hurt from my backpack, I was sweating, irritable and all I wanted was a coffee! But noooo, they don’t have coffee – they have espresso. After standing in line and getting nowhere I stormed off like a two year-old, found a corner to sit in to cool off, literally and figuratively. I’m learning that travel can definitely bring out the bad side of people, including myself. When I’m starting to feel like this, I find it best to just take a step back, relax and come back down to reality. If you don’t do this you are bound to take out your frustration on the wrong person, which isn’t fair. So after about 30 minutes of writing and relaxing I feel much more fit to order a coffee, without throwing any fists at the barista =)


The next few days I will be in Rome, Tuscany and possible Venice. Lots of pictures to come! I hope everyone enjoys their week, I will eat extra gelato and pizza for you all =)

1 comment:

  1. How exciting. I wish when I was your age I had the guts to try what you are doing.
    Love you,
    Gram

    ReplyDelete