Friday, November 29, 2013

Solo Wondering in Paris!

I never thought I would say this, but I’m ready to come home. I have left Paris and I’m now en route to Bruges, Belgium. One of my connecting trains arrived 10 minutes late and I missed my last train to Bruges. So I am stuck at the train station for the next few hours. Overall my trip has been amazing, but at this point the missing trains/getting lost/nobody speaking English has lost its glamour. I’m more than ready to see my family, friends, bed and country!

Okay, my rant is over. Now I must tell you about beautiful Paris! After getting much needed rest in Switzerland I arrived to Paris on Monday super energized and ready to see as much as I could. When the receptionist at my hostel gave me the map of Paris I quickly learned just how big this city is. As this was my first time in Paris, I of course made the Eiffel Tower my first stop. You can either pay €4 to take the stairs or €13 to take the elevator. Anyone that knows me knows that I love a bargain and €13 to take an elevator ride is certainly not a bargain! So I took the 40 flights of stairs to the second floor of the tower and boy was it a breathtaking view of Paris from up there!



After taking the journey back down the stairs, I walked around the Champs de Mars, which is the park in front of the Eiffel Tower. There were a lot of people but I was starting to feel like I was the only person there alone. Traveling solo undoubtedly has its pros and cons but this time was one of the more discouraging ones. In a crowd of people I noticed a guy that looked about my age that was also alone and speaking English. I immediately walked over his way and started up a conversation. Before long we were exploring the streets of Paris together. Damon is from San Francisco and is actually on his 20th month of traveling! He has been Couchsurfing for close to two years while visiting over 40 countries. For those of you that don’t know what “Couchsurfing” is, it is basically a network of people that share their couches with travelers for a night or two. It’s a great way to save money on accommodation, get to know the locals and have a genuine experience wherever you are. I do have a profile but I have yet to use it. The website also has “Couchsurfing Meet-ups” in every city. Damon was headed to a meet-up at a pub close by and invited me to come along. After getting majorly lost for a couple of hours, we finally found the pub and spent the rest of the evening hanging out with over 100 Couchsurfers. I was having such a good time that I forgot to snap some photos! But it was definitely an amazing experience!


I arrived back to my hostel quite late so I attempted to get ready for bed in the dark so I wouldn’t wake anyone up. During my attempt to “be quiet” I flung my phone from my top bunk to the bottom bunk, where a large, older woman was sound asleep. I’m not sure why I thought this was a good idea but I began searching for it. She must have felt my hands in her bed and quickly woke up. I started to explain what happened and she said “No, I don’t think so” and fell back asleep. I figured I would just wait until the morning so I got back into bed. And then I realized I needed to go to the bathroom. I didn’t want to disrupt her again so I decided to jump from my top bunk onto the floor, completely disregarding the chandelier hanging in front of me. As I jumped I smacked my head on the light fixture VERY hard. Within seconds the chandelier was hitting the ceiling and I was on the floor.  When I finally got back into bed this woman under me was snoring so loud it sounded as if she was hanging on for dear life. I didn’t get a wink of sleep that night but I did find my phone the next morning – in her bed, under the blankets. I requested a room change for the following night.


Despite my lack of sleep I woke up at a decent time and went out to explore the city. I was supposed to meet up with Damon again but we just couldn’t get on the same wavelength so I found myself solo yet again! I’m not going to lie, strolling the streets of Paris alone was a very gratifying experience and I loved every second of it. I indulged in a French treat every time I passed a pastry shop, took a tour of Notre Dame, walked along the Seine and visited some more famous sights. For dinner I went to a traditional French restaurant and had probably the best meal I’ve eaten yet! I started with Medaillon de Bloc de Foie Gras de Canard and then Tartiflette and finished with Tarte Tatin.



I had plans to explore more of the city but I found myself in food-coma after this meal and decided it was best to head back to the hostel. I got a good night’s sleep and started my day bright and early! I will be in Bruges for one night, Amsterdam for two nights and then back to Dublin for a couple of days before my flight leaves on Monday to come HOME!

                                                         Notre Dame 




Although my shoulders hurt, my feet are throbbing, I haven’t had a proper shower in weeks and I’m overall just exhausted, I am going to suck it up and enjoy my last few days in Europe! A week form now I will be relaxing on my parent’s couch sipping my coffee and being waited on hand and foot, right mom? =) 


1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about strolling the streets of Paris - one of the loveliest things I did on my trip! It's hard to feel alone when you're wandering around a city that's so alive.

    ReplyDelete