Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Weekend in Donegal

This past weekend I was kindly invited to a small family reunion in Donegal, which is where Lorraine is originally from. Donegal is about two hours from Belcarra so after school on Friday we packed up the car & made the trip up. One thing that I love about Ireland is that no matter where you go, no matter how long the drive, you are bound to have a scenic journey. 



Another thing that I love about Ireland is the hospitality & friendliness. Since I arrived two weeks ago I have not been hungry, thirsty or uncomfortable once! The entire family is always checking in, making sure I am okay. This past weekend we arrived on Friday evening at Lorraine’s dad’s house. Dinner was waiting for us. After dinner is tea. & then wine. & then snacks. & then more wine. Sometimes I feel like I am at a bed & breakfast! One thing I can honestly say about the Irish is that they are some of the most welcoming, approachable & friendly people I have ever met.



After a full night of music & craic, I woke up Saturday & went for a morning stroll with my new English friend, Sheila to see more of the beautiful countryside. After that we went to Rossnowlaugh beach for some sightseeing. It was a gorgeous day – about 60 degrees & sunny. After wandering up & down the beach for a bit we walked up the hill to an old monastery that was built in the 1470’s. It was destroyed  in the 1600’s & then rebuilt as a full functioning church in 1952. The grounds were filled with history & lovely gardens.




After the morning adventures we arrived back at the house with yet another meal waiting for us on the table! & when I say meal, I don’t mean grilled cheese. The food here is AMAZING! I’ll need an entire post to write about that =) After lunch I went into Donegal town with my two new friends from England. We first visited the Craft Village, which was way out of my price range so I quickly found my way to the coffee shop. After our afternoon mocha, we walked into town. I went off by myself & wandered the streets for a bit. The villages are quaint & everything you’d picture it to be. A group of lads started up a conversation with me on the street. After my sweet “hello” they blurted out “SHE’S AMERICAN!” Am I that forthcoming? =) After chatting for a bit one guy asked me if “I’d like a fag?” Luckily I had heard this term earlier in the week & knew that a “fag” is a cigarette. I can only imagine what my reaction would have been if I hadn't known! When we got home I realized that my phone is semi-broken & would not turn on. To make a long story short—MINI HEART ATTACK! After that, another delicious meal & more music all night.

It was a busy weekend but I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it. This weekend’s adventures are in the making right now! 

4 comments:

  1. You come by "finding a coffee shop" honestly. Love and miss you. So great to hear about the hospitality of Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stuff. The other english teacher at my school is from Donegal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY!? What a small world. How much longer do you have in Thailand?

      Delete
  3. Sounds like your having a wonderful time.
    Gram

    ReplyDelete