Wednesday, September 4, 2013

And So It Begins!

I’m about 1 hour into my 27-hour journey to Ireland & I’m already feeling anxious! Unfortunately for me, I have no one to ask, “Are we there yet?” This was acceptable when I was 5 years old on our annual summer drive from Indiana to Iowa. But I can only imagine the train conductor would be less than thrilled if I barged into his compartment wondering what the ETA is. So I will just sit tight. I think I kind of look like a seasoned traveler right now. I’ve got my ear phones in, sipping my coffee while writing on my laptop. I could get used to this :)  

Over the past few weeks many of my friends and family members have been asking if I’m nervous about my trip. My answer was a consistent, “No, I’m just really excited!” I kept waiting for the nerves to come but they didn’t. Until last night, that is. I laid in bed going over every possible scenario. What if I don’t like it? What if the family doesn’t like me? What if I don’t make friends? What if someone steals my money? What if customs doesn’t let me in? What if I miss out on something back home? What if something bad happens? I know it’s natural to feel afraid but it’s still hard to get these thoughts out of my head. I’m learning that the best way to cope with the nerves, fear & excitement is to just Let it Be. What’s going to happen, is going to happen & my worrying isn’t going to change that. And to be honest, this trip would not be nearly as exhilarating if I had it all mapped out & knew what was around every corner. So again, I will sit tight & embrace the unknown.  

Okay, so between the nerves, excitement & coffee I think I am the most ambitious person on this train right now. I accidentally just turned on my Pandora without attaching my headphones resulting in traditional Celtic music blaring on this peaceful train. Time for a nap… Until next time!

5 comments:

  1. And so it starts! All the excitement you must be feeling. I love your blog and love you too��
    Gram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too Gram! So happy that you're following my travels :)

      Delete
  2. Love this post!! I like to know what you're doing but love to hear how you're feeling. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A trip of a lifetime...make it so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the plan! Thanks for following. More exciting posts to come :)

      Delete