Friday, September 27, 2013

Surgery Visit at the GP's

I am an avid fan of travel blogs, books & websites. In fact, these resources have been a major help when planning for my trip. It is also where I have heard many horror stories of fellow travelers that have gotten violently sick while traveling abroad. As an amateur traveler & a relatively healthy person, I was confident that I would be able to avoid any type of illness during my journey. Well, this unrealistic hope came to an abrupt end when I woke up Monday morning with a cold. As with any other head cold I’ve ever had, I drowned myself with fluids, vitamins & sleep. This usually does the trick for me. After feeling a little better on Wednesday I thought I was right on track. That is until I woke up around 4:30am & the entire room was spinning, going side to side & up & down. I thought for sure it was food poisoning. Of course my 1st & only instinct was to call my dad. I swear if he wasn’t a minister, he would be a doctor. He told me it was probably a sinus infection that would cause this kind of dizziness. After a night of no sleep & vomiting I came downstairs & told Noel that I needed to see a doctor. He said he would call the “GP” right away. In the other room I hear him on the phone say, “Hello, I was wondering what your surgery hours are?” All I’m thinking is, “Uh, does he think I’m dying!?” In Ireland, they call doctors “GP’s” and a regular office visit would be considered “surgery.” Oh, another fun fact – the doctor’s offices are open in the morning until 12:30pm. They close for the afternoon & then open again at 5:00pm. I’m still trying to make sense of this.. Anyway, I made it right in time to visit the GP. After asking a few questions & taking my blood pressure, he says “Well, it looks like you’ve contracted an infection that is causing vertigo. It usually lasts a day or two so sit tight & read the paper.” Maybe I’m too Americanized & expect a medication for every little illness but I think the look on my face said it all – I needed something! I wasn’t about to pay 50€ to have a doctor tell me to go “read the paper.” He then offered to prescribe me something to help with the vertigo. I spent the rest of the day in bed & woke up this morning feeling MUCH better. Hopefully this will be the first & only story about illness during my travels!

As with any story, there is usually something to be learned. Right now I am reading a book called “The Kindness of Strangers.” It is a collection of stories from travelers who write about times when they found themselves in compromising situations while on the road. In each tale, they explain how a complete stranger went out of their way to help them out. Reading these stories is very inspiring. It is a great reminder that in a world with so much violence & hatred, good people do actually exist. I met my “good people” three weeks ago when they picked me up at the train station after arriving in Ireland. Yesterday when I thought I was nearing my end, it was the kindness of the McCoy family that helped me get through. Between Noel speeding me to the doctors as if I were in child labor, Lorraine checking on me every few hours to make sure I was okay & Matt & Cara delivering me tablets (medicine) & tea, I was reminded of how fortunate I am to have landed in this beautiful home, even if it is only for a short time.

There is no better place than your parents couch when you are feeling sick but I have to say I am very thankful to have a “home away from home” in Ireland!

3 comments:

  1. And when your child is sick in another country the parents hope and pray she is well taken care of. Thank you McCoy family for being Hannah's family away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your feeling better, but take it slow for a couple of days. Like your mom stated, thank the McCoy family from your Gram. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo sorry you had to be sick but glad for that surgery visit:-0 Thank goodness he didnt want to take anything out! Stay well........loving your adventures. Love you more!

    ReplyDelete